TEL AVIV (Jan. 27)
The Israel Army disclosed today that there was a six-fold increase in border incidents in 1969 compared to the previous year and a 55 percent increase in casualties. But a military spokesman said the rise in casualties relative to incidents was small and proved the ineffectiveness of the enemy’s operations. He said casualties among civilians decreased by one-third in 1969 compared to 1968. No absolute figures were released. Last week showed a small increase of incidents along the Egyptian border. Seventy-nine were recorded compared to 56 the previous week. But during November and December, 1969 incidents along the cease-fire line with Egypt ranged from 120 to 150 per week, the spokesman said.