TEL AVIV (May. 7)
Foreign Minister Moshe Dayan left for Britain and the Scandinavian countries this morning to participate in Israeli 30th anniversary celebrations. He said, prior to his departure, that there were several ways and forms in which peace talks with Egypt can be resumed but stressed that the decision now lies with Egypt and so for there has been no word from Cairo.
Dayan reiterated that the U.S. agreed with his proposal that any renewed talks between Israel and Egypt concentrate on substantive issues rather than a declaration of principles which, he observed, was only a phrasing of words. He said, however, that Premier Menachem Begin’s letter to President Anwar Sadat of Egypt last month in which he proposed a resumption of talks in any form Sadat would suggest is still unanswered.
Dayan said the talks can be resumed by reviving the joint Israeli-Egyptian political and military committees or in any other framework. He said the Egyptians can discuss our proposals or present counter-proposals of their own. But Israel cannot resume the talks if the Egyptians do not want to, he said.