JERUSALEM (Mar. 30)
Israel’s High Court of Justice has given the army permission to destroy the home of the suicide bomber who killed three Israelis earlier this month at a Tel Aviv cafe.
Dozens of others were wounded in the March 21 blast.
The court Sunday rejected a petition from the family of Mahmoud Abed Al-Kader Ghonimeit, a resident of the Tsurif village in the Hebron area. Family members had said the Israeli army order was collective punishment.
Chief Justice Aharon Barak said that demolishing homes was one of the few measures available to security forces to deter terrorist attacks.
In a dissenting opinion, Justice Mishael Heshin said the bomber’s wife and four children, who were not linked to the attack, would suffer because of the demolition.