“HELEN NASH’S NEW KOSHER CUISINE" is available at bookstores around the country and online retailers. For more information visit http://www.helennashkoshercuisine.com/.
• Makes 8 to 10 servings
I love to serve this light dessert with an easy-to-make raspberry sauce and fresh raspberries. You can bake it a day in advance and refrigerate it. It is wonderful warm, cold, or at room temperature.
- 1 tablespoon (15 g) unsalted butter, for greasing the pan
- 1 cup (150 g) blanched almonds
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup (100 g) plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Grated zest of 2 lemons
- One 15-ounce (425 g) container ricotta cheese, at room temperature
- Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting the flan
- Fresh raspberries, for garnish
- One 12-ounce (340 g) package unsweetened frozen raspberries, defrosted
- 1 tablespoon Cognac (optional)
- 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar, or to taste (see note)
TO MAKE THE FLAN: Preheat the oven to 325°F (165°C). Grease a 10 by 1 1/2-inch (25 by 4 cm) flan dish with the butter.
Roast the almonds in a toaster oven at 350°F (175°C) for 5 minutes, until golden. Cool. Finely grind them in a food processor.
In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, adding the sugar gradually until well combined. Add the vanilla, lemon zest, ricotta, and almonds. Mix well.
Pour the mixture into the prepared dish and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until the center feels slightly springy to the touch. Place on a wire rack to cool.
TO MAKE THE SAUCE: Purée the raspberries in a blender until smooth. Strain through a medium-mesh sieve. Push the solids through the sieve with the back of a spoon to obtain as much purée as possible. Stir in the Cognac. Sweeten to taste with sugar.
TO SERVE: Spoon the raspberry sauce on individual plates, and place slices of the flan on top. Dust with confectioners’ sugar and garnish with fresh raspberries.
Note: To serve on Passover, use superfine sugar rather than confectioners sugar.
Excerpt from NEW KOSHER CUISINE © 2012 by HELEN NASH. Published by The Overlook Press, Peter Mayer Publishers Inc., New York, NY. www.overlookpress.com. Used by permission of the publisher. All rights reserved.