Menu JTA Search

Indictment won’t preclude Argentina-Iran probe of AMIA bombing

BUENOS AIRES, Argentina (JTA) — Argentina will work with Iran to investigate the 1994 AMIA Jewish center bombing despite an indictment accusing Tehran of terrorist activity in South America, the Foreign Ministry in Buenos Aires said.

“We will continue to promote the legal way to find and prosecute those responsible for Argentina’s worst-ever terrorist attack,” according to an Argentina Foreign Ministry statement released over the weekend.

The AMIA bombing in Buenos Aires killed 85 and injured hundreds.

The Argentinian prosecutor in the AMIA case, Alberto Nisman, accused Iran in a 502-page indictment filed May 29 of building clandestine intelligence stations in South American countries from which to launch terror attacks.

Late last month, the Iranian government officially agreed to establish a “truth commission” with Argentina to jointly investigate the attack.

Argentina’s Congress had ratified the collaboration in February over protests by Jewish leaders who said the cooperation was a miscarriage of justice in light of court rulings in Argentina that said Iranian officials were tied to the attack.

Julio Schlosser, president of the Jewish political umbrella DAIA, said the indictment “confirms and backs up our solid decision of opposing the memorandum of understanding signed with a regime that promotes terrorism and also protects those responsible of the massacre perpetrated in Argentina.”

NEXT STORY