July 23, 2011 10:46am
Though the history of French Jews has been complicated and sometimes tense, that’s no reason for American Jews to avoid the country. Just ask Toni Kamins, the author of "The Complete Jewish Guide to France" and a similar travel book about Britain and Ireland. A longtime Francophile and former observant Jew, Kamins decided to release her travel…
July 21, 2011 6:15pm
Montreal-based DJ Josh Dolgin’s eclectic blend of klezmer and hip-hop is striking a chord with audiences in France.
July 20, 2011 9:04am
Michelle Gabison isn’t trying to do anything groundbreaking, but the interfaith cooperation on display at La Marina, the kosher restaurant she runs with her husband in the ethnically diverse Parisian neighborhood of Pantin, isn’t as common as you’d think. Gabison, a Tunisian Jew who has run the restaurant with her husband for four years, employs…
July 18, 2011 5:25pm
Using social networking, a group called Shalom | Paix | Salam is trying to change the nature of the relationship between Jews and Muslims in France — one that is marked more by friction and conflict than by friendship — without shying away from the tough issues.
July 15, 2011 10:12am
After two weeks in Paris – including a reporting trip to Amsterdam and a personal weekend in Lyon – I finally visited Le Marais, Paris’s iconic Jewish neighborhood. Though larger, newer Jewish communities have cropped up in other Paris neighborhoods like Belleville and Pantin, Le Marais is still the historical center of the city’s yiddishkeit….
July 12, 2011 12:37pm
A Jewish member of Britain’s University and College Union is suing the academic group for what he alleges is a pattern of anti-Semitic harassment.
July 11, 2011 4:31pm
More than 100 members of the European Parliament signed a letter urging the European Union to reject the unilateral Palestinian bid for statehood.
July 11, 2011 4:10pm
I finally feel plugged into the Paris Jewish community – meeting people and attending events will do that for you. One of the most fascinating people I met at the Shalom | Paix | Salam picnic I attended on Sunday was Lise Amiel-Gutmann, a journalist for Judaiques FM, one of Paris’s four Jewish radio stations….
July 8, 2011 6:23pm
I recently returned to Paris from a four-day reporting trip to Amsterdam to cover a story about a proposed Dutch shechitah ban. It was my first time in Holland, and I was struck by the city’s warmth and beauty and by the way it seems to gleefully dart back and forth between the seedy and…
July 8, 2011 5:38pm
Take a look at my latest story, examining a controversial proposed shechitah ban in the Netherlands. And check this blog soon for tips on Jewish tourism in Amsterdam — from the Anne Frank House to attractions off the beaten track.
Stay informed: JTA in your inbox
Jewish and Israel News in Your Inbox
- Rock legend Phil Lesh gathers musician friends for a Grateful Dead Passover
- As Jews flee Belgium, a seder marks a family exodus
- Actress Lea Michele discovers her Greek-Jewish roots
- Sides swap character attacks in trial over Bay Area’s Koret Foundation
- Ex-mayor of London suspended from Labour for saying Hitler was Zionist
- Palestinians riot as Jewish worshippers visit Joseph’s Tomb
- ADL to Trump: Come up with something other than ‘America First’
- Critical profile of Melania Trump unleashes flood of anti-Semitic abuse on reporter
- Bernie Sanders to lay off ‘hundreds’ of staffers
- Donald Trump: Obama is no friend of Israel
- After weeks of brickbats, Bernie Sanders offers Hillary Clinton a bouquet
- Establishment candidates win Dem Senate nods in Md., Pa.