This article was posted by JTA staff.
June 27, 2016 8:23am
(JTA) — Colombia’s national soccer team finished third in the prestigious Copa America Centenario tournament led by its Jewish coach, Jose Pekerman. Colombia defeated the United States, 1-0, on Saturday in the bronze medal match at University of Phoenix Stadium. Sixteen countries competed in the centennial edition of the tournament, which ended Sunday with Chile beating Argentina…
June 21, 2016 11:49am
Carlos Rosenkrantz will join the country’s Supreme Court, marking the first time in Argentina’s history that a Jewish justice will sit on the nation’s highest court.
June 7, 2016 8:23am
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina (JTA) — Argentine-Israeli soccer star Eial Strahman led the Argentine team Talleres to the national B Division championship and a promotion to the premier A league. Strahman, 26, who formerly played for the Maccabi Haifa team in Israel, is now being called “Strahman the super hero” by media in the Cordoba province for…
May 31, 2016 11:46am
(JTA) — Asked how to avoid religion-based divisions between people, Pope Francis advised an Israeli musician to “never react” to provocations. The pontiff told this to Ofir Jacob on Monday at the Vatican during a meeting the pope had with several creators from different countries who are active on the YouTube video website. Jacob, who…
May 29, 2016 9:48am
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina (JTA) — Argentine judges reviewing treason charges against a former foreign minister admitted as evidence a recording of him speaking about Iranian involvement in the 1994 terrorist attack on the AMIA Jewish center in Buenos Aires. The justices of the federal appeals court ruled last week to admit the 2012 recording of Hector…
May 25, 2016 4:19pm
(JTA) — In an unusual role reversal, Israeli officials paid tribute to American Jewry’s contribution to the State of Israel at a Knesset ceremony. The May 25 ceremony in Jerusalem, the first of its kind, marked what organizers called 100 years of activity and support by American Jews for the pre-state Yishuv and the nation…
May 22, 2016 2:13pm
BUENOS AIRES (JTA) — An Argentinian rugby team with a Jewish history and many Jewish fans won for the second straight year the national league championship. The Buenos Aires-based Hindu Club team won the Argentinean national title Saturday after defeating Belgrano Atletic Club, 38-23. Identified as the Jewish rugby team among the national clubs, Hindu fans…
May 20, 2016 4:52pm
BUENOS AIRES (JTA) — Alberto Nisman, the federal prosecutor who investigated the 1994 bombing of a Jewish center here, may have been forced to kill himself, a prosecutor who was formerly in charge of his case said. Viviana Fein, who in December was removed from the investigation into Nisman’s mysterious death, had said before that…
May 17, 2016 3:58pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina (JTA) — Argentine actress and pop star Lali Esposito wore a dress by an Israeli designer at the Martin Fierro Awards, Argentina’s version of the Emmys. The dress by Julie Vino was first unveiled to the actress’ 4 million Twitter followers and on Instagram Sunday night before the ceremony in Buenos Aires…
May 15, 2016 4:32pm
Carlos Saul Menem, 85, said it was the third attack on Argentina over strengthened relations with Israel, following the attacks on the Israeli Embassy in Buenos Aires in 1992 and the attack on the AMIA Jewish center in the city in 1994.
Stay informed: JTA in your inbox
Jewish and Israel News in Your Inbox
- Theo Epstein vs. Mike Chernoff: The Jewish minds behind the Cubs and the Indians
- Trump supporter and radio host: Rahm Emanuel part of ‘Jewish mafia’ that controls US
- Cubs vs. Indians: Which team is more Jewish?
- Trump Israel adviser denies anti-Semitic sentiment among supporters
- Counting kippahs and in-laws: Joe Biden says he’s ‘more Jewish’ than Clinton
- Bill Clinton: Jewish Americans, more than any group, can’t sit out election
- Clinton campaign tally shows 5 top donors are Jewish
- Second UNESCO committee passes resolution ignoring Jewish ties to Temple Mount
- Israel Police recommend lifting ban on lawmakers’ visits to Temple Mount
- Israeli journalist Ari Shavit apologizes for ‘misunderstanding’ in response to reporter’s sexual assault account
- NY village, town to pay $2.9M for alleged discrimination against Hasidim
- Ivanka Trump says her father will move US embassy to Jerusalem ‘100%’ if elected
- Among Cleveland’s Orthodox voters, reluctance reigns
- One Jew, One Vote: Hildee Weiss, 48
- Curt Schilling calls Jews who slammed his Jake Tapper questioning ‘clowns’
- Bernie Sanders talks with a young progressive. Is the Jewish establishment listening?
- One Jew, One Vote: Rivka Joseph, 28