July 17, 2015 4:29pm
Much of the $62 million Julius Rosenwald gave away helped transform African-American culture and education in America.
April 19, 2013 7:58pm
For one Jewish family in the Boston “war zone,” Shabbat preparations followed a night of gunfire and explosions.
June 28, 2011 12:45pm
Philadelphia’s Jewish Exponent has been named the best overall weekly newspaper in the state of Pennsylvania and in the Philadelphia region by professional organizations.
November 15, 2010 8:40pm
Vice President Joe Biden, Jerry Seinfeld and Bette Midler headlined a festive opening weekend for the new National Museum of American Jewish History in Philadelphia.
October 27, 2010 8:19pm
Pressure is mounting on a state-funded university in Pennsylvania to repudiate the views of a professor who has called for the destruction of Israel and promoted denial of the Holocaust.
November 23, 2009 9:12pm
A faculty strike at a Jewish day school in suburban Philadelphia appears to be over.
November 16, 2009 9:27pm
Faculty at a Philadelphia-area Jewish day school took to the picket line, carrying out their threat to strike.
December 17, 2008 9:17pm
Jerry Sorkin, a Philadelphia-area businessman who promotes travel to Tunisia and has strong Jewish ties there, has filed a report of an unusual and colorful gathering of Tunisian Jews paying homage to a revered scholar who, according to legend, drank himself to death after his wife burned all of his collected works. Here’s the gist…
December 17, 2008 8:34pm
Hundreds gathered at the Jewish cemetery in Tunis to pay homage to a revered scholar who, according to legend, drank himself to death after his wife burned all of his collected work.
December 15, 2008 9:01pm
While the story of Sandra Samuels, the nanny who managed to escape with the 2-year-old son of the Chabad couple murdered in Mumbai, has made international headlines, the story of Zakir Hussain, who shared her 13-hour ordeal standing between two refrigerators while intermittent firing continued, is little known, The Indian Express reports. Meanwhile, an American…
Stay informed: JTA in your inbox
Jewish and Israel News in Your Inbox
- Spelling bee champ nails obscure Yiddish word en route to victory
- Crash kills three workers at Jewish camp in Pennsylvania
WatchSteven Spielberg, in Harvard commencement speech, says anti-Semitism on the rise
- NY Times removes quotation marks from Israeli ‘occupation’
- Captain America is a secret Nazi, and people are going crazy about it
- Israel is now the land of milk and whiskey
- Bernie Sanders: Israel has a right to US protection
- Donald Trump: Debating trailing Bernie Sanders would be ‘inappropriate’
- NY Times editor calls out Donald Trump for ignoring supporters’ anti-Semitic tweets
- Donald Trump says he would debate Bernie Sanders for charity
- Bernie Sanders expects ‘consensus’ on Palestinian rights at Democratic convention
- Democrats said to be debating ouster of Wasserman Schultz as party chair