April 10, 2011 9:35pm
Seder plates can be porcelain heirlooms or a child’s precious gift, but they all tell the same story of a people’s liberation.
November 29, 2010 9:11am
Chanukah celebrations are focused on children, but there’s a place for adults in the holiday as well.
September 8, 2010 9:35pm
Rosh Hashanah is traditionally a two-day holiday, but attendance in many synagogues plummets on the second day. Some say it’s too difficult to miss work or sit through services for two days, but others insist that the soul needs the extra time.
August 12, 2010 11:59pm
To better understand the effects of the Holocaust on breast cancer today, the nonprofit group Sharsheret organized a program to address the concerns of breast cancer survivors and Holocaust survivors.
March 10, 2010 11:53pm
When you are dating, the hungry can often interpret a come-and-eat invitation as more symbolic than the shank bone on a seder plate. Here are some tips on knowing when it’s the right time to extend an invitation to that someone special.
March 10, 2010 11:26pm
Though most attention is focused on conflicts surrounding the Christmas and Chanukah seasons, interfaith families also report dealing with tricky situations during the spring’s two major Jewish and Christian holidays.
February 2, 2010 8:32pm
Recognizing a need, Jewish Women International and United Synagogue Youth collaborated on a comprehensive source book to help educate Jewish teenagers on the importance of developing healthy relationships.
December 22, 2009 1:56am
Late-night television audiences have come to expect zany song-and-dance numbers from Conan O’Brien’s “The Tonight Show,” but the show’s recent Mormon Christmas send-up actually had its roots in an unusual place: an offline brainstorming session among progressive Jewish bloggers.
December 8, 2009 10:50pm
Reporting from the scene of the Jewish Women International’s 12th annual Women to Watch gala.
August 14, 2009 11:50pm
Social worker Judy Simon helped launch a growing genealogical trend when she used DNA testing to help prove her Latvian grandfather’s claim that the family were Sephardic Jews.
Stay informed: JTA in your inbox
Jewish and Israel News in Your Inbox
- Rock legend Phil Lesh gathers musician friends for a Grateful Dead Passover
- As Jews flee Belgium, a seder marks a family exodus
- Actress Lea Michele discovers her Greek-Jewish roots
- Ex-mayor of London suspended from Labour for saying Hitler was Zionist
- Sides swap character attacks in trial over Bay Area’s Koret Foundation
- Palestinians riot as Jewish worshippers visit Joseph’s Tomb
- Bernie Sanders to lay off ‘hundreds’ of staffers
- Donald Trump: Obama is no friend of Israel
- After weeks of brickbats, Bernie Sanders offers Hillary Clinton a bouquet
- Establishment candidates win Dem Senate nods in Md., Pa.
- Trump sweeps 5 states, Clinton wins 4
- In Nevada, an open House seat, a Jewish front-runner and a Muslim candidate who feels dissed by his party