January 31, 2010 3:54pm
Hungary’s caretaker government has introduced legislation to make Holocaust denial punishable by three years’ imprisonment.
January 24, 2010 7:37pm
Protests lodged by several regional Jewish organizations prevented the nationalist Jobbik party from holding a mass pre-election meeting inside a defunct synagogue.
January 14, 2010 6:35pm
Israel will be the guest of honor at the 17th International Festival of Books in Budapest.
December 16, 2009 7:11pm
Hungary’s Supreme Court upheld an order disbanding of the Hungarian Guard, the private army of the extreme nationalist Jobbik Party.
November 23, 2009 7:12pm
A member of Hungary’s Jobbik Party promised a new extermination of “vermin” in a forthcoming “cleansing” of the Hungarian nation.
November 22, 2009 7:02pm
Police in riot gear broke up a recruiting meeting of the outlawed neo-Nazi Hungarian Guard.
November 12, 2009 5:58pm
Hungary’s president dedicated a restored memorial plaque for the late chief rabbi of Makó, which had been smashed in an anti-Semitic attack.
October 25, 2009 5:02pm
The main radical national movements of the European Union formed a political alliance.
October 19, 2009 9:07pm
The Council of Europe called on the major Hungarian political parties to keep racist hate speech out of an upcoming election campaign.
September 16, 2009 4:44pm
Hungarian state officials questioned and confiscated the passport of an alleged Nazi collaborator.
Stay informed: JTA in your inbox
Jewish and Israel News in Your Inbox
High Holidays 2016Celebrity chefs share their Rosh Hashanah recipes
- Amy Schumer’s defense against racism accusations: ‘You got the wrong Jew’
- Here’s the insanely long list of US dignitaries attending Shimon Peres’ funeral
- Saying goodbye to Shimon Peres, world leaders talk peace and love
- Abbas to attend Peres funeral, Arab-Israeli party leader Ayman Odeh will not
- In rare tribute, Obama orders flags flown at half-staff for Peres
- Bill Clinton joins throng of Israelis in viewing casket of Shimon Peres at the Knesset
- Anti-Semitic fliers put on cars at San Francisco-area train stops
- Residents of Shimon Peres’ Belarus birthplace gather outside his childhood home
- British Labour Party activist questions Holocaust Remembrance Day, existence of anti-Semitism
- Human rights groups urge US to probe Israeli soldiers’ killing of Palestinian-American teen
- On the road with Bill and Barack
- Hillary Clinton urges Jews to aim for their ‘best selves’ in call to get out the vote
- What does a libertarian like Gary Johnson’s running mate see in Shimon Peres?
- Trump NYC fundraiser co-hosted by prominent Jews expected to bring in $1 million
- The ‘big league’ Jewish moments in the first Trump-Clinton debate
- Netanyahu, following debate, tells Cabinet it does not matter who is elected US president