The famous Elkan N. Adler collection of Jewish books consisting of 30,000 printed books and 4,000 Hebrew manuscripts has been acquired by the Jewish Theological Seminary. With this addition to its existing collection of 70,000 volumes, the library of the Seminary will become the largest Jewish library in the world.
Announcement that a contract for the purchase of the Adler collection had been consumated through Dr. A.S.W. Rosenbach, the bookseller now in London was made by Dr. Cyrus Adler, acting President of the Seminary.
The Adler collection was gathered by Adler during thirty years of travel in all parts of the world. A catalogue of the collection was published by the Cambridge Press, England, several years ago. One of its features is an unusual number of manuscripts dealing with the Spanish inquisition.
Mortimer L. Schiff donated $50,000 to start the fund for the purchase of the library. Others who contributed were Felix M. Warburg, Louis Marshall and Natnan Miller.
The Archive of the Jewish Telegraphic Agency includes articles published from 1923 to 2008. Archive stories reflect the journalistic standards and practices of the time they were published.