The Training School for Jewish Social Work, established last year to supply the need for professionally trained social workers, will graduate its first class on September 15, at Hotel Astor.
The principal address will be by Dr. Lee K. Frankel, vice-president of the Metropolitan Insurance Company and chairman of the Jewish Communal Survey. Other addresses will be made by Julius Rosenwald of Chicago, first president of the School; Louis E. Kirstein of Boston, who is now president; Felix M. Warburg, chairman of the Executive Committee of the School; Dr. Solomon Lowenstein, Executive Director of the Federation for the Support of Jewish Philanthropic Societies of New York and Secretary of the School; Porter R. Lee, Director of the New York School of Social Work, and Maurice J. Karpf, Director of the Training School for Jewish Social Work.
The Class of 1926 includes Annette E. Cohen, Mobile, Ala.; Lena Gassell, Philadelphia, Pa.; Pauline Gollub, Philadelphia, Pa.; Herman Jacobs, Brooklyn, N. Y.; Jessie Josolowitz, Bristol. Conn.; Pearl Larner, St. Louis, Mo.; Susan Mandell, Lawrence, Mass.; Edith Mozorosky, Portland, Ore.; Louis Shocket, Richmond, Va.; Harold Silver, Chicago, Ill.; and Mildred Simon, New York City.
The Training School was initiated by the National Conference of Jewish Social Service and the funds for its organization were made available through the New York Foundation, the Nathan Hofheimer Foundation and private contributors. The purpose of the school is to offer facilities for the initial training of new social workers from all parts of the country and for the supplementary training of those now in the field. It aims to help in the discovery and the equipment of leaders for the growing communal activity of American Jewry. It is a graduate school and requires for admission in addition to graduation from a recognized college, adequate personality and adaptability for Jewish social work.
The Jewish Welfare Board cooperated with the War Department in providing welfare activities for Jewish boys in over 30 Citizens Military Training Camps. Officers Reserve and National Guard encampments this summer. Jewish boys numbering over 1,000 attended in camps throughout the country.
Jewish chaplains in the Officers Reserve were called upon to serve for a period of a month at a time and at other camps the regular representatives of the Board conducted religious and other welfare activities. The Jewish chaplains were stationed as follows: Rabbi Harry Richmond of Far Rock-away, and Benjamin Tintner of New York City, served at Plattsburgh: Rabbi Frank Rosenthal, of Columbus. Ga., was stationed at Camp McClellan: Rabbi S. J. Schwab of Athens. Ga., served at Fort Bragg. N. C.: Rabbi Martin Zielonka. of El Paso, Texas, at Fort Bliss; Rabbi M. N. A. Cohen, of Tacoma, at Camp Lewis, Wash.: Rabbi P. Israeli, of Portland. Me., at Fort McKinley; and Rabbi Herman Lissauer of San Francisco, at Camp Del Monte, Cal.
Religious services were conducted regularly by the Jewish chaplains and by workers of the Board. The men were furnished with prayer books, Bibles and Jewish calendars.
The Archive of the Jewish Telegraphic Agency includes articles published from 1923 to 2008. Archive stories reflect the journalistic standards and practices of the time they were published.