Archive

Search JTA's historical archive dating back to 1923

Temple Takes Up Shofar Again, Abandons Trumpet

September 13, 1926
See Original Daily Bulletin From This Date
Advertisement

(Jewish Daily Bulletin)

The Har Sinai Congregation, a Reform congregation, reverted to the ancient custom of sounding the Shofar, the Ram’s horn, on the morning of Rosh Hashanah.

For many years the temple has used a modern trumpet, a procedure contrary to orthodox traditioon.

To the choirmaster, Edgar T. Paul, who is not a Jew, was assigned the task of blowing the Shofar. The rabbi of the temple is Dr. Edward Israel.

Recommended from JTA

Advertisement