(Jewish Telegraphic Agency)
Further progress in the excavations of the Agrippa Wall, the third wall which surrounded Jerusalem during the Jewish war against the Romans, was announced here by Dr. Elieser Sukenik, who was awarded a scholarship in archaeology at Dropsie College, and who is now in charge of the excavations of the Jewish Palestine Exploration Society at the wall in Jerusalem.
Parts of the wall were discovered in July 1925. The greater part of the wall has now been unearthed, including the foundations of the wall which are four meters wide. The northern side of the wall was uncovered in its entirety. The work of excavation lasted for over a month and has been discontinued until next spring.
The task which now faces the archaeologists is to find the connection between the third wall and the second wall.
The excavators also unearthed a large bulding of the Byzantine period, the walls of which are two meters wide.
One hundred and ninety-six feet of the wall was uncovered in July 1925. Halfway along these excavations, a tour projecting northward was unearthed, two sides of the tower being uncovered. This tower was constructed of unusually massive masonry, one stone being sixteen feet long. The tower is thirty-two feet square and coincides with the measurements given by Josephus.
It is evident that this wall was carefully conceived, but it shows signs of hasty construction in some parts.
The Archive of the Jewish Telegraphic Agency includes articles published from 1923 to 2008. Archive stories reflect the journalistic standards and practices of the time they were published.