(Jewish Telegraphic Agency)
The fight between the Orthodox Jewish elements and the modernists in Lithuania came to a climax in Telz, for many years the seat of orthodoxy and Talmudic learning in Lithuania.
Recently, the Zionist group in the town opened a Hebrew school of the type maintained by the Tarbuth, where instruction is given in the Hebrew language and where a secular attitude is maintained toward all subjects. Hitherto, the town had no secular schools, except the Orthodox school, Boneh. Following the opening of the school, Rabbi Bloch, issued a “cherem,” ex-communicating all parents who send their children to the Tarbuth school. As a result of the “cherum,” a number of parents withdrew their children from the school.
The Archive of the Jewish Telegraphic Agency includes articles published from 1923 to 2008. Archive stories reflect the journalistic standards and practices of the time they were published.