(Jewish Telegraphic Agency)
The Jewish cemetery of Mayence, one of the oldest testimonies of Jewish history in Europe, was converted into a national memorial.
The old tombstones, which date from the Middle Ages, scattered during the various wars and Jewish expulsions, are now being restored to the cemetery.
The Jewish cemetery of Mayence is mentioned in the records of the city as early as 1286 under the name “Judensand.” It suffered sackings during the Crusades and massacres. In 1438 when the Jews were expelled from the city, the synagogue and cemetery were confiscated and the tombstones were used for building purposes.
The Archive of the Jewish Telegraphic Agency includes articles published from 1923 to 2008. Archive stories reflect the journalistic standards and practices of the time they were published.