Seven hundred friends of the Home of the Daughters of Jacob, the largest home for the aged in the world, celebrated the thirtieth anniversary of its founding, at a banquet at the Hotel Astor Tuesday night.
Samuel C. Lamport, who introduced the speakers of the evening, paid a tribute to the memory of Mrs. Bertha Dworsky, the founder of the Home.
Assistant Corporation Council Arthur J. Hilly, represented Mayor Walker and presented the congratulations of the Mayor to the gathering.
Judge Otto A. Rosalsky, contrasted the present home, erected at a cost of $1,2500,000, and now containing over 500 inmates with that of the original home on Montgomery Street. He stated besides Joseph Barondess and himself there were no survivors of the first annual dinner of the Home, which took place in the Tammany Hall thirty years ago, and on which occasion the sum of $500 was raised whereas today the home is run on an annual budget of $300,000 entailing a running expense of $600 per day. To Philip and Max Weinstein, who subscribed $100,000, and who raised a large part of the building fund is due the credit for the present Home of today, declared Judge Rosalsky.
Mrs. Peter J. Schweitzer, the president of the Home, welcomed the guests in behalf of the Home.
Mrs. Esther Surut sketched the personalities of many of the earlier patrons of the Home and the part they played in the efforts for creating the first Hebrew home for the Aged in New York, declaring that this institution is a monument to the capacity of women for service to the Jewish community. This Home was erected and its expense met hitherto solely by Jewish women.
A motion picture film of the Home was shown. This film was the gift of Sam E. Mishkind.
The Archive of the Jewish Telegraphic Agency includes articles published from 1923 to 2008. Archive stories reflect the journalistic standards and practices of the time they were published.