The first issue of “The Sephardic Bulletin,” a monthly publication of the Sephardic Jewish community of New York, made its appearance Friday. The “Bulletin” is published in English and Ladino.
In explaining the purposes of the “Bulletin,” John H. Levy, president of the community, writes in the first issue:
“The Sephardic Community of New York, Inc., has been organized in its present form for a little over four years. The Board of Directors has now decided to publish a monthly bulletin in order to acquaint our people with the activities of our Community. Mr. Marco Shemaria, a member of the Board has been appointed chairman of the Committee to supervise the new publication.
“There are now twelve societies affiliated with the Community and it is believed that this new bulletin will prove of value in helping the members of these societies as well as the increasing number of members at large to obtain correct information concerning our work.
“The chairmen of the several committees to which are delegated specific activities of the Community, as well as other contributors, will furnish the resumes of the month’s activities as well as contribute articles of general and timely interest. Thus, the readers will keep in constant touch with our work in the following fields, namely, synagogue, Talmud Torah, social service, club activities, social and educational features, entertainments, etc. The Women’s Division will likewise report on its work. Periodic reports by the officers of the Community will chronicle the progress that is being made and outline the program of future activities. In short, everything concerning the Community’s work and affecting our People’s welfare will be summarized in our Bulletin.”
The Archive of the Jewish Telegraphic Agency includes articles published from 1923 to 2008. Archive stories reflect the journalistic standards and practices of the time they were published.