Three new buildings added to the Jewish Hospital of Brooklyn at a cost of $4,000,000, were dedicated Sunday afternoon in the Dr. Leon Louria Memorial Hall of the hospital, St. Mark’s Place and Classon Avenue, Brooklyn.
Edward J. Lazansky, Presiding Justice of the Appellate Division of the Supreme Court and chairman of the dedication exercises, introduced Nathan S. Jonas, with whose aid the hospital was started in 1903.
Mrs. Nathan Straus, president of the Women’s Auxiliary; Arnold M. Schmidt, president of the board of directors of the Training Scshool for Nurses, and James H. Post spoke. The benediction was by Rabbi Israel Herbert Levinthal. Rabbi Simon R. Cohen gave the invocation.
The new hospital building, eleven stories high, will care for 350 patients. The nurses’ residence hall is eleven stories high and provides living quarters for 200 pupil nurses. The Dr. Leon Louria Memorial, an auditorium seating 400 persons, is to be used for lectures and post-graduate work. The employes’ building the third of the new group, consists of six stories, given over to the house staff, the non-professional employes and a new power plant.
The old main building will be reconstructed. The building formerly used as the nurses’ training school will also be altered for use as a children’s hospital, with a capacity of seventy-two beds.
The Archive of the Jewish Telegraphic Agency includes articles published from 1923 to 2008. Archive stories reflect the journalistic standards and practices of the time they were published.