A serious land dispute has arisen in the Jankoy region over a decision of the Regional Land Commissariat to withdraw 260 hectares of land from the Jewish colonists in District No. 109, Crimea. The land, according to the Commissariat’s decision, is to be leased to Russian peasants for pasture. Due to this limitation, the Jewish colonists in the district will be able to pasture only 250 head of cattle.
When the colony was organized it possessed 750 hectares, but in 1927 the Land Commissariat withdrew 400 hectares. Upon the decision for further withdrawals, the colonists have appealed to the Comzet, governmental department for Jewish land settlement, asking immediate intervention, declaring that without pasture land they will be compelled to sell their livestock, which would practically mean liquidation.
The Archive of the Jewish Telegraphic Agency includes articles published from 1923 to 2008. Archive stories reflect the journalistic standards and practices of the time they were published.