Search JTA's historical archive dating back to 1923

Hebrew University Starts Summer Program

June 19, 1929
See Original Daily Bulletin From This Date

The American Advisory Committee announces that the summer term of the Hebrew University opened on Sunday, May 12th. The Faculty of Humanities, until now holding sessions in the city proper, has been moved to Mount Scopus. Professor S. Klein, who has been on leave since the academic year 1926-27, is returning to accupy the Chair on Palestinology.

Professor Louis Ginzberg of the Jewish Thelological Seminary of New York and Mrs. Ginzberg left Palestine on May 10th after spending the winter in Jerusalem, where Professor Ginzberg lectured at the Hebrew University on “The Evolution of the Halacha” and “Relations Between the Halacha of Yerushalni and Babli.”

Announcement is made by the Hebrew University that Mr. George Hyman of New York has been appointed Assistant Registrar. Mr. Hyman is a graduate of Columbia University, and was a special student in the Jewish Theological Seminary in New York. Besides his duties at the University, Mr. Hyman is engaged on a piece of research for the International Institute of Education of Teachers’ College, Columbia University.

An Organization of University Workers has been formed at the Hebrew University, and held its first meeting on May 12th. The Organization includes besides the office and library staffs, the laborers engaged in the construction of the new buildings. Dr. Judah L. Magnes, the Chancellor of the Hebrew University, and Dr. Hugo Bergmann the Director of the Hebrew National and University Library, were the guests of honor at the first meeting. Representatives of the Workers Federation of Palestine, and workers in national and communal institutions, as well as representatives of the Students’ Organization of the University were also present.

Julian J. Obermann of the Jewish Institute of Religion in New York gave two lectures at the University.

Recommended from JTA