The ghetto area of Warsaw, Poland, has been considerably enlarged by the Nazi authorities, and now includes part of Marszalkowska Street, the Gazeta Zydowska, only Jewish newspaper in Nazi-occupied territory, reported today. The newspaper also reported that the Nazis had again postponed the date for evacuation of Jews from Cracow. mark in poor working class hones and small shops, gutting them thoroughly and leaving only trembling brick walls surrounding heaps of rubble.
High explosives also were dropped in the district with amazing results. Walking up one street the JTA correspondent passed a row of brick, two -story houses which seemed to have escaped damage. The doors were firmly closed, the windows were not slattered and even a milk bottle placed on a doorstep remained. Turning the corner this correspondent saw that a bomb had completely pulverized the houses, except for the front walls which had becomes nothing more than screens for heaps of smoking debris.
In another street, many houses were untouched except for one with its front blown out and the upper floors sagging crazily. One of the most pathetic sights was that of bearded traders fumbling dazedly among rubble trying to salvages something from the small shops which represented their livelihood.
The Archive of the Jewish Telegraphic Agency includes articles published from 1923 to 2008. Archive stories reflect the journalistic standards and practices of the time they were published.