Declaring that “Britain has placed herself in the position of an open enemy of the Jewish people, and the Jewish people have no other recourse but to treat her as such, the New Zionist Organization of America has called for an international boycott of Great Britain and a campaign of civil disobedience in Palestine.
The NZO proposed program of action, which was released at a press conference during the week-end, outlines the following measures of opposition to British policy in Palestine:
1. Non-cooperation with the British Government in London and the British administration in Palestine in any way whatscever so long as the White Paper remains in force.
2. Declaration of civil disobedience by all Jews in Palestine, including the refusal to pay taxes or to comply in any other way with governmental orders.
3. An organization of an international boycott of British goods, British shippings and British services throughout the world.
4. All Jewish soldiers from Palestine and elsewhere who received from Britain medals of distinction for their services in the first and second world wars, should return these medals as an expression of their indignation at Britain’s treatment of the Jewish people.
5. Direct resistance of every attempt to prevent Jews from entering Palestine or from acting in accordance with their inalienable rights as human beings and residents of that country.
The NZO, while supporting all protest meetings and other similar activities, warned that at this time protests were not sufficient, and that “more vigorous, militant action” is called for.
The Archive of the Jewish Telegraphic Agency includes articles published from 1923 to 2008. Archive stories reflect the journalistic standards and practices of the time they were published.