SAIZBURG (Mar. 23)
The trial of five displaced Jews, including a ##bbi, who are charged with roiting and assault upon an Austrian civilian, will be ## tomorrow. The case is being tried by a U.S. Army military court, which held ## first session on Friday.
Prosecution witnesses at the opening session testified that the condnetor of a bus was beaten up by a crowd of displaced Polish Jews from the Reldenburg camp near here, who collected following his refusal to allow the rabbi, Moses Weiss, and another Jew to enter the bus because he said it was already full. Other reports of the incident stated that the conductor abused the Jews and threw one off the bus.
An Austrian woman employee of the U.S. military government testified that she had heard Rabbi Weiss threaten the conductor: “You SS swine cannot do this any longer Your beating days are over.” She also said that Weiss told several of the DP’s who had witnessed the altercation to go to the camp and summon sufficient people to halt the next bus that came along. The witness, who was asked to pick out the defendants who were seated with the audience, was able to identify only Rabbi Waiss.
The conductor, who was also called by the prosecution, identified all five of the defendanta. He said two of them had knocked on the window of his bus and urged him to come out, while the other three had been in the crowd surrounding the vehicle. He claimed that four of them had beaten up a transportation company inspector who tried to stop them from uncoupling the trailer section of the bus.
The defendents, who, in addition to Rabbi Weiss, are Jerzy Morgenstern, Lipn Skelski, Pinchus Hoggraf and Jonef Cehanoski, are charged with participating in a riot and interfering with public transportation. Two of the accused who deinied having been present during the incident are also charged with making false statements to the U.S. military authorities. They are being defended by Major Joseph Levy.