Helena Rubinstein, famous American, Jewish philanthropist and art patron, died here today at the age of 94.
Active in the America-Israel Cultural Foundation, where she was an honorary member of the board of directors, she had been the done of the Helena Rubinstein Museum, in Tel Aviv, which she established and to which she gave an additional $100,000 for a new wing in 1963. She was also one of the leaders in the Arts and Music Scholarship Program for gifted, young artists in Israel, giving as many as 16 scholarships in one year. She also contributed heavily to other Jewish causes, including the United Jewish Appeal. In 1956, she gave $100,000 for the establishment of a chair in chemistry at Brandeis University.
Born in Cracow, Poland, where she graduated from Cracow University, she lived a number of years in Paris and emigrated to the United States in 1915 where she founded the world-famous cosmetics industry. In private life, she was Mrs. Edward J. Titus.
The Archive of the Jewish Telegraphic Agency includes articles published from 1923 to 2008. Archive stories reflect the journalistic standards and practices of the time they were published.