A huge menorah carved in stone — a monument to Jews who perished during the Nazi occupation of Yugoslavia in World War II — has been unveiled in the town of Bor on the site of a slave labor camp where thousands of Jews died in 1943 and 1944. The victims were mostly deportees from Hungary. The unveiling ceremonies were addressed by Dr. Lavoslav Kadelburg, president of the Federation of Jewish Communities of Yugoslavia, and Dr. Geza Seifert, president of the Jewish Communities of Hungary. Another speaker was a non-Jew, the manager of the local copper mine where the Nazi victims were forced to work.
The Archive of the Jewish Telegraphic Agency includes articles published from 1923 to 2008. Archive stories reflect the journalistic standards and practices of the time they were published.