TEL AVIV (Jun. 22)
Israeli commandos raided an Egyptian naval radar station on the west bank of the Gulf of Suez early today killing 15 Egyptians and smashing the radar, a signaling installation, a searchlight and generator. All the Israelis returned safely to their bases, a military spokesman said.
Four Israeli soldiers were wounded last night in a clash with a band of Egyptian commandos who Crossed to the Israel-held east bank of the Suez Canal. A military spokesman said the Egyptians retreated leaving behind two anti-vehicle mines which were dismantled. The target of the Israeli raid was the radar station near Ras Adabiya, about six miles south of Port Suez, manned by Egyptian naval personnel. The raid was launched following a day-long shelling by Egyptian artillery across the Suez Canal which was described as one of the heaviest since the June, 1967 war. An Israeli spokesman said the raid was in reprisal for repeated Egyptian violations of the cease-fire. He said that Egyptian gunners shelled Israeli positions from the Bitter Lake to Qantara in the north and from Ismailia to Port Tewfik at the southern end of the canal. They twice ignored cease-fire calls from United Nations observers, he said. Egyptian Radio claimed that Israeli forces started the shooting yesterday with a rocket barrage aimed at Port Suez and later fired on Port Tewfik and two residential suburbs, Arbeen and Ganavin. The Egyptians claimed to have shot down three Israeli spotter planes.
In other fighting, four Arab saboteurs were killed and a fifth was wounded and captured in a battle in the Jezreel Valley near Mount Tabor deep inside Israel. The clash occurred last Wednesday but was announced only today. An Israeli spokesman also announced the deaths of one Israeli soldier and two Arab guerrillas in a running battle Thursday near Sdom on the south shore of the Dead Sea. The Israeli patrol surprised a band of saboteurs trying to plant explosives near tractors. Israeli jets today pounded Jordanian artillery positions in the northern Jordan Valley after fire had been directed at Beisan Valley settlements. The planes returned safely after a 45-minute bombardment, a military spokesman said.