TEL AVIV (Aug. 27)
Israel submitted today to the United Nations Truce Supervision Organization (UNTSO) her sixth complaint of Egyptian standstill violations since the temporary truce took effect midnight Aug. 7. The complaint was based on information possessed by Israel up to yesterday. The Jewish Telegraphic Agency learned today from reliable sources that the number of Egyptian missile emplacements, reported by Israel Aug. 19 to be “between six and 15,” now total at least 12, with construction continuing on others. In addition, as reported earlier, the number of still unequipped sites numbers between six and 15. An Army spokesman today rejected Egyptian charges that Israel has violated the standstill cease-fire by bringing in troops and building new roads and fortifications in the Suez Canal area. The spokesman stated that the cease-fire agreement permits the rotation of troops and the maintenance of roads and fortifications.
The semi-official Cairo newspaper A1 Ahram earlier today had reported that Egypt had formally submitted a complaint to the United States and the UN that Israel had violated the cease-fire by moving large troop units into the standstill zone. Egypt also charged that Israel was building new fortifications and roads to improve her defense position. Al Ahram wrote that the issue was discussed yesterday between a senior foreign ministry official and Donald C. Bergus, the ranking American diplomat in Cairo. (In Washington the State Department had no comment on the report.) (A United Nations spokesman said that the Egyptian complaint had been received by Secretary General U Thant and that the complaint was “being studied.” The spokesman also said that the complaint had been given to Ambassador Gunnar V. Jarring but declined to say what. If any reaction. Dr. Jarring had.)