Over 200 leaders of the Jewish National Fund in America are spending the first three days of a national assembly that will last a week here in Eilat hearing reports and plans of land development and inspecting projects their donations helped to bring to fruition.
The group from all over the U.S., with the largest contingent of 25 from San Diego, Calif., today toured the Eilat area, JNF-supported science-based land reclamation in kibbutzim in the Arava and in the Timna park area, which is now under development. Tourism Minister Avraham Sharir persuaded the American JNF to switch their annual convention to Israel for the first time. They had been planning to meet at Grossinger’s in New York but switched to Eilat and, by chance, are meeting here on the 34th anniversary of the establishment of this most southerly Israel town.
It was on March 10, 1949, that the Israeli flag was first raised over a hut forming the police post at Umm Rashrash, on the seashore facing Aqaba.
The Archive of the Jewish Telegraphic Agency includes articles published from 1923 to 2008. Archive stories reflect the journalistic standards and practices of the time they were published.