JERUSALEM, Nov. 5 (JTA) — Israeli officials ordered a troop withdrawal from a Palestinian-controlled city in the West Bank hours after a terrorist killed two this week in Jerusalem.
The attack took place during rush hour Sunday afternoon, when a Palestinian gunmen opened fire on a bus in the French Hill neighborhood in northern Jerusalem.
Two people were killed and dozens of others injured when the gunman sprayed the No. 25 Egged bus with fire from an M-16 automatic rifle.
Police identified one of the dead as Shoshana Ben Yishai, a 16-year-old who immigrated to Israel with her parents from Long Island when she was 5 years old.
Three Israelis — a border policeman, a soldier and a civilian — shot and killed the gunman during the attack.
The gunman was a member of Islamic Jihad from the West Bank city of Hebron, Jerusalem Police Chief Mickey Levy said.
Two Palestinians were seen running from the scene of the attack, prompting a manhunt on suspicion that they may have been accomplices. According to the Jerusalem Post, a video camera at the French Hill junction later revealed that only one terrorist had fired on the bus.
The attack took place hours after Defense Minister Benjamin Ben- Eliezer said at Israel’s weekly Cabinet meeting that Israeli troops would soon withdraw from the West Bank city of Kalkilya.
After the attack, Ben-Eliezer said the withdrawal would soon proceed as planned.
Early Monday morning, Israeli forces withdrew from Kalkilya. The army said it would remain in Israeli-controlled territory nearby “to prevent terror activities launched from” areas under Palestinian control.
In its biggest operation in areas under Palestinian control since the two sides signed their first interim peace accords in 1993, Israel took up positions last month in and around the largest Palestinian-controlled cities in the West Bank.
The operation — which was criticized by the United States and other Western nations — was launched as part of an effort to crack down on terrorism after the Oct. 17 assassination of Tourism Minister Rehavam Ze’evi.
On Oct. 28, Israeli officials decided to withdraw troops from the West Bank city of Bethlehem and the neighboring town of Beit Jalla, despite two Palestinian terror attacks that day in which five Israelis were killed.
Following the Kalkilya withdrawal, Israeli forces remained in Ramallah, Tulkarm and Jenin.
Prime Minister Ariel Sharon said in an interview published Sunday in The Washington Post that he intends to withdraw from the Palestinian-ruled lands once local Palestinian commanders agree to keep the peace.
The issue of the withdrawals came up when Peres and Palestinian Authority President Yasser Arafat met over the weekend at an economic conference in Spain.
Spokesmen for the two said they held no formal negotiations when they met on the sidelines of the conference last Friday and Saturday.
The two discussed the timing of Israeli withdrawals from Palestinian- controlled West Bank cities and the need for Palestinian forces to take up security there after the withdrawal, the spokesmen said.
Peres and Arafat met again Monday at an informal gathering hosted by E.U. officials in Brussels.
Belgian Prime Minister Guy Verhofstadt, whose country holds the rotating E.U. presidency, held separate talks with the two earlier in the day in an effort to reduce Middle East violence.
Also on Monday, three Israelis were wounded when a bomb exploded in an Israeli settlement near the West Bank city of Jenin.
One suffered moderate wounds and the other two light injuries in the blast at a factory in Shaked. Islamic Jihad claimed responsibility for Monday’s bombing. Initial reports suggested the blast may have been caused by a gas explosion, but the army later said a bomb had exploded in a factory cafeteria.
Following the bombing, Israeli officials said the attack would delay plans to withdraw troops from Jenin.
In another development, Israeli helicopters fired missiles Sunday at three buildings in the Gaza Strip.
The buildings were used to make mortars that Palestinians had fired over the weekend at Israeli settlements in Gaza, according to the army. A Palestinian security official said the buildings were empty and no one was hurt in the attack.
In other violence, Palestinian gunmen shot and killed an Israeli soldier last Friday night.
Along with killing Staff Sgt. Raz Mintz, 19, of Haifa, the gunmen lightly wounded another soldier in the drive-by shooting at a roadblock north of Beit El.
The Al-Aksa Brigade, which is affiliated with Arafat’s Fatah movement, claimed responsibility for the attack.
The Archive of the Jewish Telegraphic Agency includes articles published from 1923 to 2008. Archive stories reflect the journalistic standards and practices of the time they were published.