The Palestinian Authority signaled that an Israeli soldier held hostage in the Gaza Strip could be released soon.
Palestinian Authority Information Minister Mustafa Barghouti said Saturday that Israel had received updated ransom demands from Hamas-led gunmen who have held Corporal Gilad Shalit since last June. The demands, which were previously rebuffed by Israel, are believed to include the release of hundreds of Palestinian prisoners, possibly in three stages.
“The ball is now in Israel’s court,” Barghouti said.
Israel had no immediate comment on the Palestinian Authority’s announcement, which followed reports that Hamas had allowed the Red Cross to transfer a pair of eyeglasses to Gaza which were intended for Shalit. The gesture stoked speculation that a breakthrough in efforts to recover the soldier could be imminent.
The Archive of the Jewish Telegraphic Agency includes articles published from 1923 to 2008. Archive stories reflect the journalistic standards and practices of the time they were published.