A former Middle East envoy claimed that U.N. policy in the region failed because it served Israeli and American interests.Alvaro de Soto, a Peruvian diplomat who quit his post as U.N. envoy to the Middle East last month, submitted a confidential end of mission report in which he slammed international policy in the region and suggested the United Nations pull out of the Quartet, the negotiating group that also includes the United States, Russia and the European Union. Alvaro wrote that at the United Nations,”a premium is been put on good relations with the U.S. and improving the U.N.’s relationship with Israel.”The document, dated May 5, also criticizes the sanctions placed on the Hamas-led Palestinian government, Ha’aretz reported. De Soto also criticized Hamas’ refusal to recognize Israel, and criticized Israel for actions that have “perversely” encouraged Islamist militants, but he saved much of his scorn for the United Nations itself. “I don’t honestly think the U.N. does Israel any favors at all by not speaking frankly to it about its failings regarding the peace process,” De Soto said.
Former envoy says U.N. subservient to Israel