(JTA) — The Oslo Jewish Museum will open an exhibition on the Holocaust in Norway exactly 70 years after hundreds of Norwegian Jews were shipped to Auschwitz.
The museum will open the exhibition on Nov. 26 at exactly 2:55 p.m., the time of departure 70 years ago of the passenger ship Donau, which carried 552 Jews destined for the extermination camp in Poland. In total, 40 percent of Norwegian Jewry, or 772 people, was deported; only a handful of them survived, according to the museum. The remaining 60 percent fled to neutral Sweden.
The exhibition focuses on the deportation itself, which was conducted by Norwegian police and militia members, according to Mats Tangestuen, the museum’s historian, and includes video interviews with 21 survivors.
A small part of the exhibition examines the life that about 900 Norwegian Jews who lived in exile in Sweden.
Earlier this year. Norwegian Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg formally apologized for his country’s role in the Nazi persecution of Jews.