In a nine-hour marathon, the Republican Jewish Coalition hosted 13 of 14 GOP candidates for president at an event held, fittingly, at the Ronald Reagan building in Washington Thursday.
Most of the speeches skewed serious – the shooting in California the previous day loomed large, Israel’s security was paramount and a fervent desire to beat Hillary Clinton (not just the Democrats) dominated the day.
But there were moments of levity, or at least dark humor, many captured in tweets. Here’s a sampling.
1. Donald Trump’s use of language that veered too close to anti-Semitic for some tastes, prompted this outburst from Hannukah Solo.
Trump said “Im a negotiator like you folks” to a Jewish audience & Im offended cuz fuck that we’re WAY better negotiators than fucking Trump
— Hanukkah Solo (@BostonJerry) December 3, 2015
2. Ben Carson needed to demonstrate his foreign policy bona fides. His pronunciation problems probably didn’t help him.
3. The New Yorker’s Tad Friend had a little more fun at Carson’s expense.
Ben Carson not just concerned about Hummus terror threat, but about dire situation in Baba Ghanoush and Tabouli.
— tad friend (@tadfriend) December 3, 2015
4. Here’s Rick Santorum (yes, he’s still running) making a dubious claim to fame.
Santorum: Several months ago I was in ISIS magazine. … no other presidential candidate in either party is on the list of ISIS enemies — Emily Cahn (@CahnEmily) December 3, 2015
5. Here’s Jeb Bush, wearing his love for Israel on his sleeve — er, lapel.
Jeb! is wearing a English/Hebrew “Jeb!” lapel pin at RJC (some of his supporters are sporting the same) pic.twitter.com/PAxonOJxFa
— Zeke Miller (@ZekeJMiller) December 3, 2015
6. Lindsey Graham tries out an unusual bid for credibility on Iran.
Lindsey Graham says he ran a bar/ pool room growing up, so “This is why I would be good dealing with Iran. I know a liar when I see one.”
— Mary Jordan (@marycjordan) December 3, 2015