JERUSALEM (JTA) — An Israeli court ordered the release of a Jewish terror suspect to house arrest.
The 18-year-old was one of six Jewish terror suspects who appeared Monday in Petach Tikvah Magistrates’ Court for a hearing on extending their remands. He has been exonerated of serious allegations, including the July firebombing of a home in the West Bank village of Duma that killed three members of one family.
The man was not named; Israel has imposed a gag order on the case.
Prosecutors said they would indict the man for an attack on an Arab teen two years ago near a West Bank outpost. He had been held in administrative detention, without charges, for 29 days. He was prevented from meeting with his attorney for 18 days.
The indictments of other suspects being held in administrative detention could be handed down this week, Israeli Defense Minister Moshe Yaalon said Saturday night. However, prosecutors did not file a declaration of intent to indict the suspects during Monday’s hearing.
Meanwhile, hundreds of demonstrators gathered outside the court to protest the alleged torture of the suspects during questioning.