(Jewish Telegraphic Agency Mail Service)
There are about 50,000 Jewish peasants in White Russia, according to a report submitted to a plenary meeting of the White Russian Jewish Colonization Society, Ozet, which has just been concluded at Minsk.
In the course of the last two years, the report states, 16,000 desiatin of land have been settled by Jews. It is intended during the course of the present year to settle in White Russia 1,500 Jewish families. Another 1,000 families will be transported from White Russia for settlement in the Crimea.
The Comzet, the Government commission for Jewish Colonization, states that of the sums allocated in the State budget for the purpose of Jewish colonization work it has distributed the following amounts:
For credit aids to land workers who have settled in White Russia, 50,000 roubles; for land settlement in the district of Nikopol, 90,000 roubles; for preparation work for additional settlers in this region, 45,000 roubles; for land settlement in the district of Eupatoria. 64,000 roubles; for the settlement of Caucasian Mountain Jews in Northern Causacia, 20,000 roubles; for finding new areas for the settlement of Caucasian Mountain Jews, 1,400 roubles.
Altogether, a total of 400,400 roubles has been expended on the Jewish colonization work.
Mrs. William Filene, mother of Edward A. and A. Lincoln Filene, President and Treasurer of William Filene Sons Company, Boston, died on Wednesday at the age of 93.
Mrs. Filene was born in Germany, Dec. 13, 1833, and came to this country when a girl. In 1858 she married William Filene.
The Chanin Construction Company, headed by Irwin and Henry Chanin sold the Mansfield Theatre on West Forty-seventh Street, to Irving Levin, Inc., at an asking price of one million dollars.
Messrs. Chanin through their operating company, the Chanin Theatre Corporation, took back a lease for sixty-three years, thereby keeping intact the chain of eight playhouses which they control in New York. The structure has a seating capacity of 1,050 and was completed by the sellers a little more than a year ago.
The decision of Supreme Court Justice John Ford sustaining the Commissioner of Jurors in striking the name of Franklin Ford, manager of Station WHAP, from the jury list will be appealed, according to Franklin Ford. Walter Fairchild, legal representative of Franklin Ford, said that WHAP was in no way connected with the Ku Klux Klan.
Division of air time, under the Federal Radio Commission ruling, alloting the 296-meter wave length to Stations WHAP and WBNY, was arranged at a meeting between Franklin Ford of WHAP and Dr. S. N. Baruch of WBNY.
Albert M. Greenfield of Philadelphia, has been elected a member of the Board of Trustees of Temple University. Announcement of Mr. Greenfield’s election to the Board was made by Dr. Charles E. Beury, President of the institution. Mr. Greenfield was very active in the recent campaign for the Temple University Endowment Fund.
A bill recently introduced to compel the daily reading of passages from the Bible, with the recital of the Lord’s Praver, was killed in the Legislature of British Columbia.
Rabbi Julius Silberfeld of Newark N. J., is reappointed Grand Chaplain of Free ##sons for the State of New Jersey. Rabbi ##berfeld has held this post for ten years.
The Archive of the Jewish Telegraphic Agency includes articles published from 1923 to 2008. Archive stories reflect the journalistic standards and practices of the time they were published.