The difficulties between the Palestine government and the municipality of Tel Aviv over the demand of the latter for permission to build its own slaughtering house appear to be on the way to a complete settlement with the approval by the Colonial Office of a loan for the construction of an abbatoir in Tel Aviv.
The despute arose last November when the Jews began slaughtering meat at an abandoned leather tannery in Tel Aviv in lieu of the former abbatoir in Jaffa, an Arab city, and where the Jews were required to pay a tax. The government issued an order forbidding the use of the temporary slaughtering house. Later it issued a temporary permit good for one month and when this permit expired the Jews went without kosher meat rather than slaughter in Jaffa.
In the meantime protests were made to the government officials and the Jews held a huge protest demonstration. The use of canned meat was resorted to by some while patients in the hospitals suffered from the lack of fresh meat. Shortly after, plans were drawn up for an abbatoir which the government approved but pending its completion the Jewish butchers were to slaughter in Jaffa under police protection.
The new abbatoir will cost $50,000. Its construction, which is now assured by the Colonial Office’s approval of the loan, will mean that Jaffa will lose about $50,000 a year in fees.
The Archive of the Jewish Telegraphic Agency includes articles published from 1923 to 2008. Archive stories reflect the journalistic standards and practices of the time they were published.