Berlin’s new Chabad house opened.
The sanctuary and study rooms of the Szloma Albam House-Rohr Chabad Center, located in the former west Berlin, were overflowing with guests for Sunday’s event. The building project, which took several years to build, cost about $7 million. Most of the money came from private donations, according to Rabbi Yehudah Teichtal, director of the center.
Among the speakers were German Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier; Rabbi Yisrael Meir Lau, former chief rabbi of Tel Aviv; Rabbi Moshe Kotlarsky of Chabad Lubavitch headquarters in New York City; Nathan Kalmanowicz from the board of the Central Council of Jews in Germany; Gideon Joffe, president of Berlin’s Jewish community; Ehrhart Korting, Berlin’s interior minister; and William Timken, the U.S. ambassador to Germany.
A street fair following the ceremony featured a performance by Avraham Fried, a Chabad entertainer from Brooklyn. A private banquet was planned for special guests in the evening.
The Jewish population in Germany has quadrupled to about 120,000 with the influx of former Soviet Jews since 1990.
The Archive of the Jewish Telegraphic Agency includes articles published from 1923 to 2008. Archive stories reflect the journalistic standards and practices of the time they were published.