Search JTA's historical archive dating back to 1923

Mrs. Bertha Guggenheimer Leaves $125,000 Bequests

March 14, 1927
See Original Daily Bulletin From This Date

A preliminary announcement of the bequests contained in the will of the late Mrs. Max Guggenheimer, of Lynchburg, Va., who died last week while on a tour of the country in behalf of the United Palestine Appeal, includes gifts thus far totaling $125,000.

Mrs. Guggenheimer’s will creates a trust fund of $100,000 for Palestine, with special reference to playground needs. The playground established in Jerusalem by Mrs. Guggenheimer while on a visit to Palestine last year was the first modern playground in the country. This trust fund will be administered by Dr. Stephen S. Wise, acting president of the Jewish Institute of Religion. Federal Judge Julian W. Mack, and Mrs. Irma L. Lindheim, national president of the Hadassah.

The will also leaves the sum of $25,000 to Dr. Stephen S. Wise for any purpose he may designate in the development of the Jewish Institute of Religion, of which Mrs. Guggenheimer was a trustee. This $25,000 is in addition to the $25,000 she gave to the Jewish Institute of Religion as a fund to send a student of the Institute to Palestine every year for study in that country.


Dr. Henry W. Frauenthal, founder and surgeon in chief of the Hospital for Joint Diseases, New York City, fell to his death from a bedroom window of his seventh floor apartment at 18 West Seventieth Street, early Friday. He would have been sixty-four years old on Sunday.

Dr. Frauenthal’s partly dressed body was found in a back court at 7 a.m., after Miss Evelyn Robson, his secretary and nurse, had discovered his absence from the bedroom. The police and an ambulance from Knickerbocker Hospital were called. Medical Examiner Norris declared death resulted from “a fall from a window due to mental derangement.”

The surgeon had been suffering from one of his periodical nervous breakdowns for the last six weeks, according to Miss Robson, who said that he was confined to his bed for sixteen weeks last year and for a shorter period the year previous. He also was suffering from diabetes, a disease which several years ago forced the amputation, under his own supervision, of a number of toes on both feet.

Thursday afternoon Dr. Frauenthal attended the funeral of Samuel Levy, a director of the Hospital for Joint Diseases and one of his closest friends. He returned from the service in a state of deep mental depression, which attendance at the annual reunion of Bellevue Medical College graduates that evening failed to banish.

Apparently no one saw him fall from the window.

Dr. Frauenthal is survived by his wife, Clara Heimsheimer Frauenthal, who has been confined to a sanatorium for some years; a daughter, Mrs. Natalie Mayer, and three brothers, Herman, Isaac G., and Isidor.

Dr. Frauenthal was nationally known among medical men as a pioneer in the treatment of chronic and acute joint diseases. The hospital he founded for the treatment of these cases is now the largest orthopedic institution in the country.

Born in Wilkes-Barre, Pa., he was graduated from the local high school and then made a special study of analytical chemistry at Lehigh University, Bethlehem, Pa., receiving his degree in 1886. Entering Bellevue Medical College, he won his medical degree in 1890. He next became the clinical assistant of Dr. Lewis A. Sayre, America’s foremost orthopedic surgeon of that day, and continued the association for eleven years.

In 1904 he established a clinic at 558 Lexington Avenue. His success was such that the hospital was opened at its present site in 1906. It has grown rapidly ever since. The present clinic was completed in 1924.

Dr. Frauenthal was well known for many operations in bone grafting and for his researches into the causes of infantile paralysis.

Dr. and Mrs. Frauenthal were survivors of the Titanic disaster. The doctor was a member of the Rotary Club, the Elks, Masons, the American College of Surgeons, New York College of Medicine. Mecca Temple, Lambs Club, In-wood Country Club, Lehigh University Alumni Association and of various medical societies.

According to his brother, Isaac, Dr. Frauenthal left a personal fortune of about $250,000, a large part of which would probably ultimately go to the hospital he founded.


Furlough orders have been issued by the War and Navy Departments permitting Jewish service men to observe the Seders on Passover, Saturday, April 16th, and Sunday, April 17th, with their friends and families at their home, or as guests of the Jewish Welfare Board in communities adjacent to posts and stations, according to an announcement made by Dr. Cyrus Adler, chairman of the Army and Navy Committee of the Jewish Welfare Board.

These furloughs apply to men in the military forces in the United States and its territorial possessions and to American soldiers and sailors at foreign points. The furlough orders cover the period from noon of Friday, April 16th to noon of Tuesday, April 19th.

The Jewish Welfare Board will also distribute matzohs, haggadahs, and Passover greeting cards to the men in the service and to disabled veterans.

The United States Veterans Bureau has likewise granted leave for Passover, in accordance with its established policy, to those Jewish disabled veterans whose physical condition permits. For those who will remain in the hospitals, the Jewish Welfare Board will arrange for personal visits and other services.

The Special Committee of the American Federation of Labor which investigated last year’s strike of furriers turned over to Mayor Walker Friday the transcript of its proceedings in which witnesses asserted that bribes were paid to police officials to side with the strikers.

Following the meeting William Green, President of the A. F. of L., in a statement said that in submitting the information to the Mayor “we make no charges against the police or the Police Department.”

Mayor Walker said he would read the documents and decide by Monday whether he would sit as a committing magistrate to hear testimony or whether he would delegate that duty to somebody else.

After the conference Mr. Green gave out a statement that the information turned over to the Mayor contained allegations made by representatives of the Joint Board of Fur Workers, led by Communists and others that police officers had been bribed during the strike. Expenditure of large sums of money during the strike, he said, was accounted for by witnesses who said it had been paid to the police.

Ben Gold, manager of the Joint Board, denied Friday night that any officers or members of the Joint Board had testified before the committee to bribing the police. He said that Mr. Green’s statement contradicted those by him and Mr. Woll on Jan. 14 and Jan. 18, wherein they declared that the special A. F. of L. committee accused the police of taking bribes.

A site for a Jewish Community Center building has been acquired in Springfield, Mass. The Jewish Community Center, Inc., will erect a building at a cost of between $200,000 and $300,000, it was stated. Raphael Sagolyn is chairman of the building committee.

Recommended from JTA