Search JTA's historical archive dating back to 1923

Palestine Courts Continue to Sentence Jews and Arabs

September 26, 1929
See Original Daily Bulletin From This Date

If You Are Pleased with the “Jewish Daily Bulletin.” Tell Your Friends to Subscribe

Sentences of imprisonment and fines upon Jews as well as Arabs are being imposed by the Palestine courts which treat the Jewish prisoners as equally guilty with the Arab attackers.

Two Arabs from Nablus, who were arrested while on their way to Jerusalem, in possession of hand grenades, were sentenced to one year imprisonment each.

Shalom Cohen, arrested on the charge of possessing firearms, was brought before the investigating magistrate in Jerusalem, who increased the amount of his bail from £100 to £200, the magistrate adding the charge of unpremeditated murder.

It is characteristic of the procedure of the courts that a Jew named Uzieli of Haifa, who was accused of possessing firearms during the disturbances, was sentenced to a fine of £10 or imprisonment of one month without hard labor. In pronouncing sentence, the British judge praised Mr. Uzieli for rescuing Mrs. Sykes, an Englishwoman, the widow of the English railway official who was stoned to death by the Arab mob in Haifa. Uzieli rushed the wounded official to the Hadassah hospital and saved Mrs. Sykes. The judge rejected the prosecutor’s charge of premeditated murder to which Arabs had testified. The judge said that although it was clear Uzieli was in possession of a revolver, it was while he was driving his car to transport Jews who were fleeing for their lives from the endangered quarter. Another Jew, Schmukler, who was ar- (Continued on Page 4)


Although it is generally believed that the trace of the Arab attackers on Kfar Yeladim, the children’s village, in the Valley of Jezreel, where the Jewish watchman Shalom Elisha was killed yesterday, leads to the village Shuni, with which the colony Merhavia and neighboring colonies have been at feud for some time, no arrests have been made as yet. The first action of the military on arrival at the scene was to confiscate the shotgun of the dead watchman. Elisha left a wife and three children who reside in Tiberias.

Latest reports state that the marauders, after shooting the watchman, stabbed him to death and proceeded to remove the cattle.


The Moslem Supreme Council is endeavoring to secure the release on bail of Sheik Taleb Markah, suspected to be the chief instigator and leader of the massacre at Hebron. Markah was brought to Jerusalem on Tuesday in chains. He is held at the central prison with a number of other criminals from Hebron.

Dr. Claribel Cone, noted feminist, pathologist and art collector of Baltimore, Md., died at Lausanne, Switzerland. Dr. Cone at one time occupied the Chair of Pathology at the Women’s Medical College. She was known for her collection of works by modern painters. She is survived by four brothers and a sister.

The Mark C. Steinberg Gymnasium addition to the St. Louis Y.M.H.A. Y.W.H.A. was dedicated Wednesday evening. A three-day athletic program will be held. Mr. Steinberg contributed $100,000 to the “Y” for the gymnasium.

If You Are Pleased with the “Jewish Daily Bulletin.” Tell Your Friends to Subscribe

Recommended from JTA