Search JTA's historical archive dating back to 1923

Soviet Paper Hits Poland’s Treatment of Minorities

September 17, 1939
See Original Daily Bulletin From This Date

The Moscow Pravda, official organ of the Soviet Communist Party, yesterday accused Poland of mishandling her Ukrainian, White Russian and Jewish minorities and consecuently contributing to her defeat at the hands of Germany, according to advices received here.

The editorial pointed out: “Poland is a state of many nationalities. Poles constitute only 60 per cent of the population, and the remaining 40 per cent is made up of national minorities, principally the Ukrainians…White Russians…and Jews.”

“It would seem that Poland should have established normal relations with such important national minorities,” Pravda said.

Recommended from JTA