Search JTA's historical archive dating back to 1923

Tel Aviv Quiet As Renewed Outbreaks Die Down; Death Toll Reaches Four

November 16, 1945
See Original Daily Bulletin From This Date

Tel Aviv was quiet tonight following a day of prantic clashes between Jews and British troops during which one Jew was killed, 13 Sercosly injured and three suffered slight wounds.

The known death toll since yesterday rose to four when nine-year-old Eliahu (##) died late today. Leon was one of several children wounded during the disturbances.

The curfew which was proclaimed yesterday by the military authorities is expected to be lifted tomorrow from 7:00 in the morning to 4:00 in the afternoon, it was indicated by Major General E. L. Bols, commander of the troops in Tel Aviv, who said that the situation in the city is “well in hand.”

Today’s clashes started when Jews appeared in the streets at dawn in defiance of the curfew order. Troops opened fire several times during the day, while crowds of Jewish youths stoned the British police. Loudspeakers mounved on police cars cruised the city’s streets warning all persons to return to their homes, but the throng grew from hour to hour.

Clashes kept occurring in various ports of the town and wounded Jews were being brought to first aid stations at the rate of one a minute.

There was a short period of relative quiet after the first major outbreak this morning, during which one man was killed, but around noon crowds attacked a British-armed provision store and a large army truck.

A British fighter plane and a single bomber circled the city several times and armored cars patrolled the streets. Temporary military headquarters were set up in Colony Square.


Members of the executive of the Jewish Agency and of the Jewish National Council hurried from Jerusalem to Tel Aviv tonight for consultations on the situation here, following a conference between Mayor Israel Rokach and the Acting High Commissioner John V. M. Shaw at an undisclosed point outside the city. The secret Jewish radio station “Voice of Israel” in a broadcast deplored the disturbances as “irresponsible”, but added that the Jewish resistance movement would continue to fight the White Paper, though not by such methods.

Following his meeting with the Acting High Commissioner, Mayor Rokach issued a warning to the population of Tel Aviv urging them to keep off balconies and away from windows as this is considered a breach of the curfew order. Later he visited the wounded in the hospitals.

Recommended from JTA