November 20, 2016 7:05pm
(JTA) — Let us begin with the facts: Converts whose conversions were conducted according to halachah, or Jewish law, are 100 percent Jewish. In the eyes of God and Torah, they are full Jews, just as Jewish as any born Jews. Their Jewishness is not contingent on the Israeli Chief Rabbinate or anyone else. Halachic…
July 28, 2016 11:02am
(JTA) — This week, Pope Francis will be making a pilgrimage to Poland, visiting Auschwitz – the notorious death camp in Poland where 1.1 million Jews were murdered during the Holocaust. Auschwitz is comprised of two camps: Auschwitz I and Auschwitz II, also called Birkenau. Birkenau is the actual “theater of death,” where the vast…
July 7, 2015 3:41pm
Rabbi Avi Weiss goes to Charleston to mourn the slain victims of the attack on an African-American church, and gets help saying the Mourner’s Kaddish for his father.
November 13, 2014 3:23pm
Israel recently moved to decentralize conversion. In America, just the opposite is happening. And the co-founders of a new modern Orthodox rabbinical organization think it’s a problem.
April 11, 2014 2:06pm
Jacob Birnbaum, a founder of the Soviet Jewry movement, was a heroic, legendary figure, writes Rabbi Avi Weiss.
October 20, 2013 11:42am
The Jewish doctrine of faith requires us to challenge God when his mandates confront our ethical sensibilities, Rabbi Avi Weiss writes.
February 8, 2011 2:42am
Natan Sharansky’s freedom is not only a celebration of his great courage; it is also a celebration of his wife Avital’s formidable moral and spiritual strength, Rabbi Avi Weiss writes.
- Florida school shooter Nikolas Cruz made anti-Semitic, racists comments in private chat group
- ‘Our kids should be safe,’ father of Parkland victim Meadow Pollack says at her funeral
- Teacher Scott Beigel did not want to be remembered as a hero
Editor's ColumnHere’s why we report on the Jewish victims of larger tragedies
- New Jersey rabbi arrested for meeting teen prostitute
- Trump negotiators welcome Abbas’ recognition of Jerusalem as holy to Jews
- Orthodox school in Antwerp says employee wrong to instruct teachers not to teach evolution, reproduction
- Hosting BDS founder at European Parliament encourages anti-Semitism, Jewish leaders say
- These Jewish women say celebrating Purim in the #MeToo era is different
- Israel successfully tests Arrow-3 missile defense system
- US ambassador to Israel reportedly says evicting settlers ‘could lead to civil war’