is senior editor at 70 Faces Media. She is JTA's former managing editor. Follow her on Twitter @gabibirkner.
April 13, 2018 1:15pm
LOS ANGELES (JTA) — When Alice (Gerstel) Weit last saw Simon Gronowski, she was 13 and he was 10 and, by Alice’s recollection, “the most adorable boy ever.” When they reunited this week, 76 years later, “I opened the door and there he was, a frail, little old man,” she said. At the threshold of Alice’s…
January 5, 2017 5:06pm
LOS ANGELES (JTA) — Rabbi Marvin Hier has known Charles and Seryl Kushner — Jared Kushner’s parents and Donald Trump’s in-laws — for decades. The Hiers and the Kushners have gone to the same kosher for Passover resort, the Arizona Biltmore, over the years. The Kushner family, prominent real estate developers, have also been generous donors…
August 8, 2016 7:40am
BEVERLY HILLS, CALIF. (JTA) — Back in the 1990s, the Fox series “Beverly Hills, 90210″ tackled eating disorders, gun safety, addiction and AIDS in a tone so earnest that it seems quaint in the era of “Girls” and “Broad City” — shows that eschew the moralizing of TV generations past. In what may be the most famous episode…
January 22, 2016 10:09am
(JTA) — When Rafi Daugherty went to the hospital for the birth of his first child, he posted a sign on the delivery room door. “I am a single transgender man having my first baby,” it read. “I use he/him/his pronouns and will be called ‘Abba’ (Hebrew for father) by the baby. Papa, Dad, Daddy,…
November 13, 2015 6:56pm
Multiple attacks rocked the French capital on Friday night, killing more than 120 people and injuring 350.
November 10, 2015 6:05pm
At the Jewish Federations of North America’s General Assembly, leaders looked to turn the page on the divisive debate over the Iran deal.
November 3, 2015 5:29pm
This week’s inaugural Ruderman Inclusion Summit focused on making the Jewish community and society at large more welcoming for people with disabilities.
October 20, 2015 1:15pm
Thirty years ago, the Klinghoffers put a face on victims of terror. More recently, they modeled for me what life after loss could be.
October 14, 2015 12:09am
Bernie Sanders gets the applause line of the evening when he refuses to attack Hillary Clinton for her use of private emails.
June 4, 2015 2:43pm
JTA has won three first-place Simon Rockower Awards, which are given out by the American Jewish Press Association.
OpinionJewish students: A blacklist of BDS supporters is hurting our efforts to defend Israel on campus
- What it’s like to support Israel at NYU
- ‘Disobedience’ aims to accurately portray lesbian love — and the Orthodox Jewish community
- Hundreds of French intellectuals and stars sign manifesto against ‘the new anti-Semitism’ in France
- Jewish man attacked in Crown Heights while walking home from Shabbat services
- DC politician under fire for anti-Semitic statements also gave $500 to Nation of Islam
- Scottish man gets $1,100 fine for teaching dog to do Nazi salute
- Boston-area city council turns away BDS resolution
- On tiny Mallorca, Limmud learning festival aims to spark a Jewish revival
- Trump reportedly asked Netanyahu if he genuinely wants peace
- Rome’s Jewish community to boycott official Liberation Day ceremonies