September 26, 2009 1:13am
While efforts to bolster Jewish life in Birobidzhan persist, sometimes there is a sense that the veneer of Judaism in the Russian district is no thicker than the fresh coat of paint applied citywide for the anniversary festivities.
September 15, 2009 8:29pm
The patchwork knowledge and observance of Jewish traditions that defines Russia’s largely assimilated Jewish community holds even in the strange and unique place that is Russia’s Jewish Autonomous District.
March 31, 2009 8:26pm
Investigators discovered a mass grave for 200 Jews in a western Ukrainian city.
March 31, 2009 8:10pm
Students from the Stanford University Hillel toured the pillars of Jewish life in Moscow with local Jewish students.
March 27, 2009 10:46pm
With the financial crisis spreading in the former Soviet Union, longtime sources of Jewish funding have cut back while a Christian group from the United States has stepped up its giving.
March 19, 2009 10:38pm
Two orangutans — one in a suit and kipah, the other in a bridal gown — are currently the closing number in Act I of the famed Moscow circus.
March 17, 2009 4:26pm
A Russian woman related to Israel’s first president was beaten in her home in an attack with anti-Semitic overtones.
March 16, 2009 11:23pm
Russia’s Jewish billionaires lost more than two-thirds of their wealth in 2008, according to figures released by Forbes magazine.
March 15, 2009 4:39pm
Two young men dressed like skinheads attacked the son of a Jewish Agency employee.
March 15, 2009 4:25pm
Russian Jews fear for the future of their community in the wake of the deportation of two rabbis, a Russian chief rabbi said.
- Billy Graham, who championed Israel in public and derided Jews in private, dies at 99
- Florida congressman’s kids are using hamantaschen to help end gun violence
- NRA chief singles out George Soros and Michael Bloomberg as ‘socialists’
- Jewish dad of Florida school shooting victim to Trump: ‘It stops here’
- Former NBA star Amar’e Stoudemire just launched a line of kosher wines
- These Jewish women say celebrating Purim in the #MeToo era is different
- Iranian official: If Israel attacks we will destroy Tel Aviv and kill Netanyahu
- Owner unveils Albert Einstein letter thanking Chicago man for saving Jews
- Jared Kushner can push Israeli-Palestinian talks amid security clearance tensions, chief of staff says
- Bernie Sanders’ son considering run for Congress in New Hampshire
- Ruderman Foundation pulls video criticizing Poland’s Holocaust law