Belgrade (Nov. 1)
The Jewish Women’s Organization of Jugo-Slavia has just celebrated the fiftieth anniversary of its formation. The celebration was preceded by a special service in the chief synagogue, at which the Queen was represented by Mme. Hodzic, one of her Ladies-in-waiting. Representatives of all the women’s organizations in Jugo-Slavia were present. The Chief Rabbi delivered an address praising the achievements of the Union in the humanitaran, cultural and national spheres.
The anniversary celebration itself was held in the afternoon at the Palace Hotel. Speeches were delivered by the Minister of Education and Public Worship, Dr. Anton Koroschec, in the name of the Government, by the Lord Mayor of Belgrade, M. Marjanovic, in the name of the Municipality, and by the director of the staff at the Ministry of Public Worship, M. Janjic.
Mme. Helene Demajo, President of the Union of Jewish Women, and the Secretary, Mme. Almuli, traced the activity of the Union during the five decades of its existence.
The Union of Jewish Women was founded in Belgrade in 1874, the first women’s organization in the whole country. Its original purpose was to give assistance to women at childbirth and to windows, but its field of activity was gradually extended and branches were organized all over the country.