The Federation for the Support of Jewish Philanthropic Societies announced the successful conclusion of its campaign to raise $1,250,000 to wipe out the deficit in its budget of $3,800,000 for 1924.
A statement by Joseph L. Buttenweiser, President of the organization, called attention to the fact that the money was raised without resort to the usual methods employed in campaigns for large sums of money for charitable purposes.
“The traditional benefits, street collections, theatre parties and raffles, which used to be commonplace in philanthropic groups”, explained the President, “are expressly forbidden by the by-laws of the federation”, he stated.
The money was raised through the efforts of a specially organized Business Men’s Council.
Graduating exercises for 124 students in the combined classes of the Hebrew High School and the three Florence Marshall High Schools, which were founded by Louis Marshall as a memorial to his wife, took place in the Stuyvesant High School in East Fifteenth Street, New York. There were seventy-nine girls from the Florence Marshall Schools and forty-five boys and girls from the Hebrew High School.
Louis Marshall, in addressing the graduates, emphasized the necessity of proper and sufficient Jewish education in America.
Rabbi Harry Levi was reelected for a term of five years by Congregation Adath Israel of Boston, Mass.
Felix Vorenberg is president of the congregation. Plans and drawing were presented for the proposed Temple Center, for which land was purchased recently.