Jerusalem (Jun. 16)
(Jewish Telegraphic Agency Mail Service
Interesting remains are being discovered on the site of the ancient syangogue at Chorasin to the northwest of Capernaum, above Lake Kinnereth.
Two German excavators who were at work on the site until 1907 uncovered the remains of columns of an ancient Jewish synagogue. They were able to conduct a restoration of the site. Recently the Antiquities Department delegated Mr. J. Ory, the inspector at Tiberias to carry on the work. Among the relics unearthed are many Jewish religious symbols. The synagogue is seen to have been two stories high the upper being a women’s gallery. The stone used was black basalt, which is found in the Galilee hills. There is a seat inscribed in Aramaic-Hebrew reputed to be the seat of Moses. There is an inscription stating that Judah Ben Ishmael built the synagogue and the central stairway. Carvings of pomegranates dates citrus fruits, etc., have been found.
It is thought that the synagogue dates from the second or third century.