Minsk, White Russia (Aug. 18)
(Jewish Telegraphic Agency)
The seventieth birthday of Isaiah Nissen Goldberg, Hebrew and Yiddish writer, known under the pen name, Yaknehoz, will be celebrated in White Russia. Arrangements for this celebration are being made by the Central Jewish Bureau of the White Russian Commissariat of Education.
Yaknehoz was one of the pioneers in the Russian Haskalah movement. He is the author of over 500 short stories in Hebrew and Yiddish. He was a popular writer in the Hebrew and Yiddish press in the seventies and eighties. Recently the White Russian government granted him a pension.
A chair for instruction in Yiddish was established at the White Russian Agricultural Institute here.
A decision to honor the memory of Djerjinsky, the founder of the Cheka, was taken by the Jewish colony, Shamke, in the district of Borisov, White Russia. The colonists decided to rename the colony the Djerjinsky Colony.
ANTI-SEMITIC RIOTING IN RUSSIA MAY BE EXPECTED, POLISH ENVOY DECLARES
The opinion that there is “a strong anti-Jewish feeling growing” in Soviet Russia and “that anti-Semitic rioting may be expected momentarily,” was voiced by M. Ketrzynski, Polish Minister at Moscow who returned to Warsaw yesterday.
M. Ketrzynski made this statement in Warsaw according to a despatch in the “New York Times” of yesterday.
Returning at a time when wild rumors have echoed throughout Western Europe that revolution had broken out in Russia, the Minister stated that a period of evolution had started the results of which cannot be foreseen.
He declared, however, that the movements led by the old leaders, such as Trotsky and Zinovieff, are headed for oblivion, and that new and notably young leaders are replacing the old figures who revered Lenin and his revolutionary gospel.
HABIMAH, HEBREW ART THEATRE OF MOSCOW. TO COME TO AMERICA
The Habimah, the Moscow Hebrew players troupe, will come to the United States the beginning of November for an eight weeks’ engagement at a Broadway theatre. according to the announcement of Sol Hurok, theatrical manager.
Mr. Hurok has concluded an agreement with the Habimah which has had many theatrical successes in Russia and on its tour through Western Europe recently. The press in Paris where the Habimah recently concluded its engagement, highly praised the productions.
The troupe’s repertory includes “The Golem”.”The Dybbuk.” “Jacob’s Dream.” and “The Eternal Jew.” The troupe consists of fifty players.
Crecks amounting to $1.250 were forwarded by Paul Black, New York publisher, to Commissioner Melaughlin for distribution to the five widows of patrolmen recently slain by.
N. Y. “TIMES” CELEBRATES THIRTIETH ANNIVERSARY OF ADOLPH S. OCHS’ OWNERSHIP
The thirtieth anniversary of Adolph S. Ochs’ ownership and management of “The New York Times” was celebrated yesterday by the employes of the paper.
One committee visited Mr. Ochs in his office and presented him a solid silver centerpiece for flowers. It was inscribed as follows:
1896 August 18 1926
To ADOLPH S. OCHS
From the Members of The New York Times Staff with their respect and devotion upon this thirtieth anniversary as Publisher of The New York Times.
A second presentation was made in the composing room, where, at a special meeting of 300 or more members of “The New York Times” Chapel of Typographical Onion No. 6. Mr. Ochs received a solid silver printer’s stick, engraved and bearing pictures of the three buildings that have been occupied by “The New York Times” during Mr. Ochs’ ownership.
The presentation was made by John Simons. Chairman of the chapel.
Edward H. Edwards, long an employe of the composing room, spoke and referred to the time fifty years ago at Knoxville, Tenn., when he and Mr. Ochs were typesetters. Mr. Ochs responded briefly, expressing his appreciation of the friendship of the members of the chapel.
The inscription on the printer’s stick was as follows:
Presented to ADOLPH S. OCHS on the 30th Anniversary of his ownership of THE NEW YORK TIMES as a token of Loyalty, Love and Esteem by the Members of The New York Times Chapel Typographical Union. No. 6 August 18, 1926.
In 1896. when Mr. Ochs assumed control of “The Times” , the chapel consisted of about fifty members, while today the composing room gives employment to approximately 325 members of Typographical Union No. 6 and more than 100 unorganized employes.
“The New York Times” will celebrate its seventy-fifth anniversary a month hence. Sept. 18, it having been established by Raymond, Jones & Co. on Sept. 18, 1851. After many years of great prosperity and influence, it had a short period of misfortune, and its affairs were critical when it passed into the ownership and control of the present management thirty years ago. At that time “The New York Times’s” daily circulation, which in 1883 was 70,000, had dropped to 9,000. The regular employes numbered 300. and the annual gross income was $500,000. At the present time “The New York Times has an average daily circulation of 370,000 and 625,000 on Sunday, and has an annual gross income of about $25,000,000.