Washington, D. C. (Nov. 15)
(Jewish Daily Bulletin)
During the past six years the National Council of Jewish Women has grown from an organization of 28,000 to a membership of 51,000 women in the United States and Canada. The organization which has 235 local Sections, has spent $1,350,000 for the period 1923 to 1926, according to the report submitted by Mrs. Estelle M. Sternberger of New York City, Executive Secretary of the Council, to the Eleventh Triennial Convention which opened here on Sunday. Mrs. William D. Sporborg, president of the Council, submitted her report at the Monday session.
At the close of the morning session, the convention body of 1,000 women was received by President and Mrs. Coolidge at the White House.
The work of the National Council of Jewish Women among the women in the rural districts and on the farms, was described in the report of Mrs. Elmer Eckhouse of Newark, N. J., Chairman of the Council’s Department of Farm and Rural Work.
Miss Florina Lasker of New York City, Chairman of the Department of Immigrant Aid, reported this phase of the organization’s activities.
Mrs. Alvin L. Bauman of St. Louis, National Treasurer, reported that $107,600 has been raised in the year of 1925-26, to meet a budget of $105,000 She urged an increase of the annual dues from $3.00 to $5.00. to provide sufficient funds for the National activities, and to avoid annual special appeals.
Mrs. Bauman also reported that Rose Brenner, the late president of the Council, had bequeathed the sum of $25,000 to the organization.
Reports were also submitted on the educational activities of the council sections, the work of the Committee on Peace and Arbitration.
The public session, held in the evening, was addressed by William W. Husband, Second Assistant Secretary, Department of Labor, on “The Present Immigration Situation”; and R. W. Dunlap, Assistant Secretary of the Department of Agriculture, on “The Farm Home of Tomorrow.”